Nana Aurelio’s Welsh Cakes
(with slight alterations by me)
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
Yield: approximately 20
- 1 lb self-raising flour
- 1/2 lb butter, softened
- 3/4 tea cup caster sugar
- 1 cup currants or sultanas
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- First rub the butter into the flour as if you were making pastry. Add the sugar and fruit, then bind the mixture together with the eggs & vanilla.
- Roll out like pastry and cut into discs with a round cookie cutter (or a glass if you don’t have one)
- Cook on a bakestone (or heavy duty frying pan with no fat) on medium heat until both sides are lightly browned. Don’t have your pan(s) too hot, or these will burn on the outside and still be raw in the middle!
- Put on a rack to cool and sprinkle them with caster sugar.
- Perfect with a cup of tea.
Read about Nana Aurelio and the original recipe in the howies summer 2010 catalogue… we love howies and Nana Aurelia!